This Sunday, Pastor Mark preached out of Revelation 2:8–11 in the sermon "Persecuted in Smyrna: Faithful No Matter What," part #4 in our current sermon series, the Seven. Here are Community Group questions on what we as a church can learn from the persecution suffered by the church in ancient Smyrna and their faithfulness in that.
- How does seeing a church that has remained faithful for so long and through persecution encourage you?
- What does suffering for the gospel look like in your life?
- The most common command in the Bible is “do not fear.” Why do you think this command is repeated so often?
- Where does fear have a foothold in your life?
- How does the gospel give us the power to live without fear and endure?
- Jesus is always present to comfort you because he has endured everything that we do. Are you able to connect with that promise? Why or why not?
- Pray for endurance as a church and as a community that we would persevere through opposition by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray for conviction where we are giving in to fear and compromising in our lives.
- Pray for joy in the promise of the gospel and the kingdom to come.