This Sunday, Pastor Mark preached out of Revelation 2:12–17 in the sermon "Apostate in Pergamum: Good Deeds, Bad Doctrine," part #5 in our current sermon series, the Seven. Here are Community Group questions on what we as a church can learn from the apostasy of the church in the ancient city of Pergamum, and how we should respond to Jesus when we find ourselves in similar situations.
- Where do you allow your identity to be shaped by culture instead of Christ?
- Where are we compromising?
- Where have you been tempted to reject the uncomfortable or controversial parts of the Bible in favor of what society says is acceptable and appropriate?
- How have you held fast to the Scriptures? Where in your life have you drifted from the Scriptures?
- How have you experienced relationship with the Holy Sprit through prayer?
- What does it mean that God gives a new name to his people?
- How do we see Jesus in this passage? What attributes do we see displayed?
- How does your vision of Jesus compare to how he is portrayed in the Bible?
- Pray for conviction where we have compromised doctrinally or sexually.
- Pray that we would embrace the identity that we have been given through Jesus.
- Pray that our vision of Jesus would be bigger than ever before.