This Sunday, Pastor Mark preached out of Revelation 2:18-29 in the sermon “Progressive in Thyatira: More Tolerant than God,” part #6 in our current sermon series, the Seven. Here are Community Group questions on what we as a church can learn from the misplaced tolerance of church in Thyatira, and how we should respond to Jesus when we find ourselves in similar situations.
- What comes to mind when you hear Jesus described as “the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and whose feet are like burnished bronze”?
- In what areas is the church of Thyatira doing well?
- What does it mean for a church to be more tolerant than God?
- In what ways are we being challenged through culture or challenged internally to compromise the truths of the Bible?
- The pressure for this church came from the business world more than false religion. Do you feel any pressure from that sector of culture?
- How can we contextualize the gospel to our neighbors without changing the message?
- What do you think God wants you to learn from Thyatira?
- Pray that we would be jealous for the name of God and the truths of the Bible.
- Pray that we would never water down the gospel to make it more palatable.
- Pray that we would not be more—or less—tolerant than God.