This Sunday, Pastor Mark preached out of Revelation 3:1–6 in the sermon “Dead in Sardis: Stopped Caring or Trying,” part #7 in our current sermon series, the Seven. Here are Community Group questions on what we as a church can learn about how the church in Sardis gave up, and how we should respond to Jesus when he calls us similarly to wake up.
- How does it feel to read the greeting to Sardis?
- Do you think they would have been surprised by this condemnation?
- What is the difference between ritual and routine?
- Are there any areas in your walk with Jesus that have become routine?
- What types of rituals do you have with God that are life-giving to your soul?
- How does the gospel take us from an attitude of “I have to” to “I get to”?
- When can tradition become an act of death for a church community?
- How does staying close to the Holy Spirit keep us from falling into dead routine?
- How does the gospel give us the ability to repent of dead routine?
- Pray that our affections would be aroused by God.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to convict us where our faith has become routine.
- Ask forgiveness for the areas of your life that do not reflect the truth of Christ’s gospel.