“If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.” Colossians 3:1–4
This passage is trying to yank us all out of our earthly funk. Christ is our life! Christ is our life! Christ is our life! Christ is our life! Life hidden with Christ in God!
We often forget about God’s eternal reality. Yet, we have been invited into that reality through the death and resurrection of Jesus. This passage states that Jesus has been raised and dwells at the right hand of God. His resurrection and ascension mean that he is no longer on earth but above. With that said, if we have been raised with him, we should also remain with him in thought and action, rather than staying subject to earthly constraint.
So, what is it that keeps us constrained to the things of earth at this present moment? What is it that blurs our perspective from the reality of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? Is it regret and shame over the past? Habitual sin? Fear of the future? Anxiety about life? Worry? Emptiness? Tiredness? If so, set your mind on things above.
Here are a few more verses that expound on these verses.
If you then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above where Christ is.
- “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.’” John 11:25
- “. . . that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places.” (Ephesians 1:20)
- “I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 3:14
- “But he turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are a hinderance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the the things of man.’” Matthew 16:23
For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
- “If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations?” Colossians 2:20
- “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20
- “Are we to continue in sin that grace may abound? By no means! . . . Just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life.” Romans 6:1–4
When Christ who is your life appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
- “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.” Philippians 3:20–21
- “Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be bought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.” 1 Peter 1:13
- “And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming.” 1 John 2:28
- “Beloved, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.” 1 John 3:2