“We love because he first loved us.” 1 John 4:19
I have realized one thing since I was asked to lead Mars Hill Albuquerque three months ago: there are many, many, many variables to our church. Our Albuquerque church is a complex equation of lives, families, experiences, ages, sorrows, joys, pains, victories, sins, scenarios, systems, processes, rhythms, critiques, and ongoing assessments. Yet, no matter how elaborate the calculation seems, the love of God prevails in all cases.
I hope as we continue to grow, the love of God is known. I hope that the love that we have for each other is not weak, flimsy or interrupted, but rooted in the conquering love of our outpouring God. The first letter of John reveals the substantial, complete and finishing love of God.
- God is love (1 John 4:8).
- God is the fountain and source of love (1 John 4:7).
- God’s love is the message from the beginning (1 John 3:11).
- God’s love is manifested through Jesus (1 John 4:9).
- God’s love is truly for us (1 John 4:10).
- God’s love covers our sin (1 John 4:10).
- God’s love allows us to love (1 John 4:19).
- God’s love within us proves whether or not we are his children (1 John 3:10).
- God’s love perfects us (1 John 4:12).
- God’s love is a command (1 John 5:2–3).
- God’s love is for the lost (1 John 4:12).
- God’s love gives us confidence going into the judgment (1 John 4:17).